Basketball requires you to be able to master a bunch of techniques in order to be able to play it, this includes learning how to defend, shoot and most importantly, dribble. Now, dribbling is basically the technique through which you move the ball with yourself. You are to keep bouncing the ball onto the floor with your hand the entire time you are moving or running in the court. Dribbling is considered to be the most basic skills in basketball, because if you cannot dribble, you cannot expect to move with the ball, and it will easily be snatched from you from the opposing team. So, regardless of how good you might be in other areas of basketball, if you are not good at dribbling, then you cannot be expected to play well.
Now, you can do dribbling drills and check out basketball dribbling tips from those around you and online as well in order to improve your game. Now there are a few things you need to keep in mind when dribbling the basketball.
- Firstly, you do not control the ball with your palm when you are dribbling. This is a very common mistake that beginners tend to make; you control the ball with your fingers while you are dribbling.
- Do not keep your head down while you are dribbling. This only ends up diverting your attention, and allows an incoming player from the opposing team to easily snatch the ball from you. Always look up while dribbling so that you are able to defend yourself as well.
- Dribble quickly so that the ball always gets back in your hand quickly as well.
- Always try to go straight when dribbling after making an angled dribble.
- Increase the length of your dribble, and try to do things in 1 dribble instead of 2.